As soon as you set the date and location of your wedding, get started looking for the dress of your dreams. “The dress” will set the tone for your entire wedding: the feel, the formality, and the entire wedding party attire. Here are a few tips to make finding the dress of your dreams a little less stressful:
1. Create a vision board. Start by looking in bridal magazines, websites, blogs, and wedding photography sites. Create a vision board by cutting and pasting all of the pictures you collect. Look at the shape, neckline, materials, details, headpieces, jewelry and overall feel of all of the pictures you find- you will start to see a theme of dresses and styles you are drawn to.
2. Set a budget. Decide how much you (or whoever is buying the gown) want to spend. Be clear. Is the amount set aside just for the dress? Does it account for alterations? Make a list of everything you think you may need: alterations, shoes, accessories, a headpiece or veil, jewelry, and foundation pieces. Nothing is more stressful than falling in love with a gown that is out of your price range.
3. Set a shopping date. Call the bridal salon ahead of time to book your appointment. Ask a friend or relative to go with you but choose carefully. Make sure it is someone who knows you really well and can be honest but kind. Remember- this is all about you, your style, and what you love for your day, not theirs.
4. Go shopping. Communicate with the bridal shop staff about your style, taste, budget, shape, and details. Bring along your vision board and show them your ideas! They know their stock better than anyone and will get you started in the right direction.
5. Buy the one you love. Once you find the dress of your dreams- stop looking. Don’t overwhelm yourself with all of the possibilities out there. Stick with the one you fell in love with- just like the person you’re going to marry.
worthwhile style | be unforgettable!